Teens Self Help

A medium to express myself and talk about my feelings, hoping to inspire you... "Believe in yourself, in the power you have to control your own life day by day. Believe in the strength that you have deep inside and your faith will help show you the way. Believe in tomorrow and what it will bring. For things will work out if you trust and believe there is no limit to what you can do!" (Larry S. Chengges)

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

A Little More Respect Please!

Yes, I have to admit it. Today some of my students were driving me crazy! They didn't want to work quietly; they were too loud and didn't want to listen to me at all. I try very hard to make the class interesting, to find interesting exercises for them; I spend countless hours searching in the Internet and reading books to try to make the class as exciting as possible - but today it really seemed to me that they truly don't appreciate it and don't appreciate me. I left the school feeling sad and upset. I don't like feeling this way; I like it when students respond to my efforts and appreciate my work and show consideration and respect by working quietly and conscientiously. When they show some interest in my class and when their eyes brighten up and show enthusiasm. But unruliness is not enthusiasm! It's O.K. when they express their emotions and happiness in a self-controlled way - not too loud, respectful, and finding time to concentrate and to do their work. I don't like giving demerits and detention; unfortunately I'm going to have to follow the school rules and start handing some of these. Now I understand why some teachers never smile in class. They have to be stern and strict in order for the students to respect them (or be afraid of them). I thought that treating my students with kindness and love was enough; but I'm doubting my approach. Even when I hate yelling and being mean, I feel -now- that I'm going to have to become more strict in order for them to respect my class. Their behavior will affect their grade too! I know who works hard and who tries hard and who is always doing something else and not applying herself. I hope things are better tomorrow and in the future. It is not right that I have to leave the school feeling this way. It is not right when you feel that you are allowing others to disrespect you, because you have a hard time being a "Judge Judy" type of person. I'm very happy being a teacher, but I feel that I'm going to have to change my approach. We'll see!

2 Comments:

At 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs. Feld,
I know we can get very loud and excited in class, but we, or at least I, appreciate everything you do for us. Keyboarding is such a fun and rewarding class. Thanks for everything you do to make class an enjoyable but interesting class.

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Karol B. Feld said...

Thanks! It's good to hear that! I LOVE YOU ALL!

Mrs. Feld

 

Post a Comment

<< Home