Teens Self Help

A medium to express myself and talk about my feelings, hoping to inspire you... "Believe in yourself, in the power you have to control your own life day by day. Believe in the strength that you have deep inside and your faith will help show you the way. Believe in tomorrow and what it will bring. For things will work out if you trust and believe there is no limit to what you can do!" (Larry S. Chengges)

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Cell Phone Abuse

Are you bothered by the lack of consideration of some people when they use their cell phone indiscriminately? When they almost yell (or speak extremely loud) while they're next to you talking to someone on their cell phones? When you're subjected to someone else's private conversations (on a cell phone) and have to hear them cursing and using bad language, or speaking about very private matters?

I am! I am starting to become very annoyed by the lack of respect and consideration of others; specially when it comes to cell phone use (or abuse). Sort of like when you're driving, waiting on a stop sign or traffic light, and next to your car there's someone playing extremely loud music (I mean LOUD!) They're basically saying: I don't care about you, I don't give a darn if I bother you, I can do whatever I please - in fact I love to annoy you! Wherever you go now-a-days you hear people's loud cell phone ring-tones (with all kinds of strange and irritating songs) disrupting your peace; and then you're subjected to their annoying conversations. You lose your concentration and you feel irritated by their lack of concern. Cell phone abuse is becoming an epidemic in this world, unfortunately, and it's affecting millions of men, women and children. It's adding to our daily stress and it's just confirming that many cell phone users are becoming more inconsiderate, rude and selfish when they violate common decency.

It's not that I don't appreciate my cell phone. I use it when I have to get in touch with my daughters or others when I'm not at home (my husband doesn't have a cell phone - he refuses to buy one); but I usually use it in my parked car. I don't use it while I'm driving - it's very distracting - and if I answer it when I'm in public, I lower my voice and tell the caller I'll call him/her later. I never use it when someone else is with me; or if I'm in my workplace, a restaurant or small public place. I try my best to use it privately, where I don't bother others with my conversation. If I have to use it in public, I speak very quietly and keep the conversation as short as possible - always trying not to disturb others.

Recently, I was in a diner with my youngest daughter, and a man sitting across from us carried on a long and loud conversation during his entire meal, while his wife (or companion) was sitting in front of him. He ate his whole meal, including dessert while talking on his cell phone and ignoring her completely (as if she didn't exist!) It was really pretty rude and annoying. She should have said something to him; that was very disrespectful. I also feel that the restaurant's manager or host should have said something as well. We also recently saw a couple walking in Pennypack Park, one behind the other, and each one using their cell phones, completely ignoring one another and oblivious to the beautiful nature that surrounded them, what a waste! I've also seen mothers very engrossed on their cell phone conversations, while their little child or children are walking behind them and they're not even paying attention to their children or aware if they're still following them... sad!

Another modern trend is for high school and college students (maybe even elementary school students) to text message their friends while in class. Very disrespectful! Everything is considered boring and everyone is constantly "multitasking." They're not fully present in class - they're not fully present in their life. My advise is: use your cell phone with some discrimination, considering the right of others to have some peace and quiet, or to receive your undivided attention when they're spending some time with you or trying to teach you something.

Use some common sense, some common courtesy, and try your best not to become too annoying with your cell phone. I know that "text messaging" can become very addictive. Try to recognize if "texting" or the use of your cell phone is distracting you too much from important things and events in your life. Remember: you don't have to do what everyone else does! Take time to see your friends and speak to them in person - spend some great quality time together. Take time to just be, to pay attention to what's happening around you, to be present in your life...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home